PMP Assessment Study Plan
Preparing for typically the PMP exam is quite not like what you did in school along with college. Here the focus is simply not on memorization, but on knowing the concepts, best practices, guidelines, along with project management framework, according to PMI’s PMBOK Guide (currently Fifth Edition since This summer 2013).
Most of the people I run into have heard about PMP from their friends or colleagues and they are interested to gain expert certification in Project Administration.
However, they mostly absent experience in project management. The majority have worked on small tasks, and may not have been in a task management Manager position for a substantial amount of time. I have written formerly about the eligibility criteria for your PMP Exam.
Further, they might have limited knowledge of all of the project management knowledge places, as not all are required for many small day-to-day projects. Absolutely no wonder the casualty price for first-time PMP examination takers is so high.
Therefore when it comes to preparing for the PMP Exam, you need to have a plan which is specific, practical, time-bound as well as achievable. Without a good strategy, you may simply be overwhelmed by the sheer amount of work, or just go out of steam mid-way…
A great Study Plan for PMP which I often recommend to my college students is as follows.
1 . Rapidly enroll in a PMP Examination Preparation Workshop in your city. You are able to most certainly find one, and you can search for our PMP Training Directory site if you need assistance. PMI offers local chapters in main cities in almost every country, so you can ask the neighborhood PMI chapter for support, recommendations, or suggestions associated with upcoming PMP boot camps.
These types of boot camps maybe 4 times or 5 days long, are quite intensive. A few companies even run all of them on weekends, so you aren’t required to take leave from your hectic project schedule.
Another replacement for Classroom Training is Analysis Online for your PMP Assessment. Yes, you can do this now, along with studying on your own as well as convenience. Using Online PMP Exam Preparation Classes, also you can get the 35 PDUs or maybe Contact hours, and they are deemed valid for the PMP Assessment.
2 . Assess the gap in the knowledge: After you’ve attended typically the PMP Exam Preparation teaching of usually 35 speak-to hours ( a pre-requisite of PMI before you can take that exam), you will realize the length of the gap in your expertise and the PMI’s project operations framework.
You should ask questions for instance:
* In which knowledge regions do I have the least expertise?
* In which kind of corporation types have I by no means worked?
* Which kind of HR theories do I comply with, and which are new to me personally?
* What kind of professional as well as social ethics are the tradition in my company and the country?
* Is there a substantial improvement in my understanding and the guidelines?
With the answers, you will be able to evaluate the amount of study you need to do, and just how close or far you might be from the PMP Certification examination.
3. Filling up the PMP Certification Application Form: The next thing you need to do is to fill up your own PMP Certification application on the PMI website. It usually gets approved within 7 days, if not audited, and you can after that straight away take the Code provided to you to schedule your examination at the Prometric website.
Within Singapore, there are now 2 Prometric centers, and it takes a minimum of 6 to 8 weeks before you can get a totally free slot for the exam. This can be a boon in disguise, since you DO need at least 6-8 several weeks of the earnest study period, to fill the knowledge difference, and prepare for the PMP exam properly. After all, you are doing want to pass it on your first attempt. It isn’t inexpensive and you are probably stealing period away from your family, so have it right the first time.
4. Set Your Study Plan in earnest: Once you know your PMP certification exam date, after that you can work backward to these days, and calculate the number of times you have left at hand. This really is all you have now, so utilize it wisely.
A good study strategy is to ensure you have enough time for you to read, understand, and attempt your hand at mock PMP exam questions.
Get the PMP Exam Preparation Books, and begin reading. You can also start with the actual PMBOK Guide, but it is not really a very easy read and is typically referred to as the remedy to cure sleeplessness. If you can’t sleep, start reading through any chapter, and after a couple of pages, you might be quickly asleep.
My recommendation would be to read Rita Mulcahy’s PMP Exam Prep Book, Sixth Edition, which aligns with the PMBOK Guide Fourth version. By the way, both books are often available at Amazon or your closest bookstore.
5. Suggested PMP Exam Study Plan:
Let’s assume that you have atlest 6 several weeks before the exam, spend the period as follows
First Round associated with Basic Study – Rita’s PMP Exam Prep Guide
* 2 Days with regard to Project Management Framework
2. 18 Days for the nine Knowledge Areas (2 nights each)
* 2 Nights for Professional & Public Responsibility
For each day involving study, read the base stuff, and create a mind road or write the key points about 4 by 6 listing cards. You must attempt some mock exam questions via each knowledge area since you finish reading it. This may give you an idea of the form of questions that come in the PMP exam.
Second Round rapid Test of the Knowledge
Now that you could have done one full spherical, start every morning along with spending 5 minutes drawing typically the 47 Project Management techniques on a piece of paper – as known from the PMBOK guide. Originally it will be hard, but with day-to-day practice, you will be able to make it in a short time.
The second thing you need to do daily is usually to write down the Earned Price Calculation Formulae on a daily basis way too. Soon you will be able to write these people out quickly. Make this some sort of habit, and it will prove to be involving immense use in the assessment.
* 2 Days to examine the entire mind map or maybe cards, and make sure you still recall the key concepts.
* one day to do a full mock analysis of 200 questions. There are several free or paid lab tests available that you can use to access your height of understanding, speed of giving answers, and depth of knowledge. I came across this online test as a very Good PMP Exam Sim.
Third Round – Conditioning
* 10 Days to examine the framework and be on the lookout for knowledge areas each coming from PMBOK Guide, Fourth Release. Each day do 30-40 model exam questions
* one day to do another full model test of 200 concerns. You should see huge development from the past test, or maybe you need to identify the knowledge locations where you seem to score the smallest amount.
* 4 days: study only the fragile knowledge areas again, and also attempt to fill the space in your knowledge.
These few stages alone take concerning 40 days, which is concerning 6 weeks.
Take Action: Write Down Your PMP Review Plan
Like everything else inside, Success is 1% enthusiasm and 99% perspiration. Turn around, get up and take any action. Don’t just find out more, keep reading post after post to get overwhelmed by the exam.
Among the finest things we have seen that work is to write your personal Study Plan and then show it to your spouse, and good friends, and inform me. When you finally share it with anyone, you have shown your motivation, and you are more inclined to go through it. Your friends, and spouse, I will encourage you and ensure you have the time to study, to get the PMP Credential to further improve your career options and authority.
Ultimate Objective of this PMP Study Plan
You need to assume differently to gain the PMI’s perspective of answering issues, and learn how to think in addition to acting in the correct way, the best way, which usually aligns with the PMI’s way of thinking, to get the most out regarding any situation, and advisor the PMP exam effortlessly, on your first attempt, and stay qualified, certified with PMP.
PMChamp offers Online PMP Exam Prep Training. At the moment, we have students enrolled coming from 15 different countries, which include the USA, Canada, UAE, The indian subcontinent, Singapore, Saudi Arabia and so on It gives you the flexibility to review for the PMP Exam whenever, anywhere, at your own rate.
Vinai Prakash is EVENING Champ. Yup, that’s me. I love coaching and exercising PMP aspirants to pass the particular PMP Exam on their 1st attempt, without stress, and also without hassles.
To date, I use coached hundreds of students inside face-to-face PMP Training Planning classes and shared beneficial PMP resources. After having my PMPCredential, I usually wondered how I could reveal my newfound knowledge of transferring the exam easily on the first attempt, and give it to people struggling to find the PMP certification, but have no clue.
Read also: How to Succeed on the College Entrance Exam