India’s capital Delhi is one of the world’s ancient cities and has evolved into a modern metropolis while retaining its vibrant historical past. As one of the top tourist destinations, Delhi is a perfect hub for vacations with friends. From red forts to national museums, the city is brimming with countless attractive spots, making it the place to visit at least once in your lifetime.
You might feel overwhelmed if you’re visiting the capital for the first time. Hence, it’s essential to book a cab in Delhi to travel around this brand-new metro city, relishing its sprawling temples, glorious forts, and modern shopping malls.
Here are the top 11 reasons you should adore a blissful vacation in this capital city in 2023.
11 Reasons to Visit Delhi in 2023
- Admire Ancient Architecture: Delhi is a city rich in history and architecture, and it is a great place to explore if you are interested in ancient Indian culture. The city is home to several historic monuments and ancient temples that showcase the intricate design work of the Mughal emperors. One of the must-visit attractions is Qutub Minar, which is a 73-meter tall minaret that is over 800 years old. You can also visit India Gate, a war memorial built in the early 20th century and a great example of a blend of traditional and modern structures.
- Discover the Lost Heritage: Despite being under British rule, Delhi has managed to keep its unique heritage intact. The city boasts several grand structures erected by the Mughal emperors, such as the Red Fort and Humayun’s Tomb, both of which are UNESCO World Heritage Sites. All admire these architectural wonders for their beauty and are a testament to the city’s rich cultural history.
- Kryptonite for Knowledge Cravers: Delhi has numerous museums and memorials offering a wealth of information about India’s history. The National Museum, for instance, houses a vast collection of artifacts and artworks that span over 5,000 years of Indian history. The National Science Centre is another popular destination for science lovers, where you can explore interactive exhibits on space exploration and human biology. You can also visit monuments like the India Gate and the Lotus Temple to learn about the significance of events and people associated with the city.
- Gorgeous Escapade in Greenery Land: Despite being a bustling metropolis, Delhi is also home to several parks and gardens where you can escape the noise and pollution of the city. One of the most popular green spaces is the Lodhi Gardens, spread over 90 acres and boasts several tombs and monuments from the Mughal era. The garden is also a popular spot for yoga and meditation enthusiasts.
- Local Events and Festivals: Delhi is known for its vibrant cultural scene, and various festivals and events occur annually. For instance, the Delhi International Arts Festival is a month-long event that brings together artists and performers worldwide. Other popular events include the Delhi Book Fair, the Qutub Festival, and the Delhi Food Festival, which showcases the city’s diverse culinary culture.
- Venue for Contemporary Art: Delhi is home to several contemporary art galleries and is a thriving hub for artists and writers. One of the most famous art events in the city is the India Art Fair, which takes place every year and brings together artists and collectors from all over the world. You can also visit galleries like the National Gallery of Modern Art and the Kiran Nadar Museum of Art to see the works of some of India’s most renowned artists.
- The Majestic Maharaja Palaces: Delhi has several palaces that offer a glimpse into the extravagant lifestyles of the ancient rulers of India. Delhi was once the seat of power for many ancient dynasties, including the Mughals and the Rajputs, who built numerous palaces and forts across the city. These majestic structures served as the residence of the royal families and were often adorned with intricate carvings, paintings, and sculptures.
- Rich Culture: Delhi is a pot of different cultures and traditions, and you can experience this diversity in its art, music, and food. One of the best places to explore Delhi’s cultural heritage is the Dilli Haat, a colorful marketplace showcasing the handicrafts and cuisines of different regions of India. You can also visit the various cultural centers in the city, such as the Habitat World and the Indian Habitat Centre, to see performances by artists from all over India and participate in cultural events and festivals.
- The Promising Land for Shoppers: Delhi is a shopper’s paradise, with something to offer everyone. You’ll find everything you need, from traditional markets like Chandni Chowk, Karol Bagh, and Sarojini Nagar to modern shopping malls like Select Citywalk and DLF Mall of India. You can indulge in street shopping, buy souvenirs, or shop for high-end brands, making it a perfect place for shopaholics.
- Tantalizing Food: Delhi is a foodie’s haven, offering various dishes from different regions of India. You can taste the rich flavors of Mughlai cuisine, street food, and even international cuisine. Some of the must-try words include butter chicken, chaat, chole bhature, and kebabs. Moreover, Delhi is also famous for its desserts like rabri falooda, jalebi, and kulfi. You can also take a food tour and explore the city’s culinary gems.
Delhi is a vibrant and captivating city that offers everyone diverse experiences. Whether exploring romantic places like the Garden of Five Senses or taking your family to the Nehru Planetarium, Delhi has something for people from all walks of life.
If you are going to Delhi, car rental services will make your journey to the city an unforgettable and inspiring experience. Stroll through the city’s streets, meet new people, and enjoy the festivals while indulging in the local cuisine to make the most of your time in Delhi. With its rich history, cultural diversity, and modernity, Delhi is a city that will leave you spellbound and eager to return.