Who are the data analysts?
Data analysts typically work with structured data. They use spreadsheets and databases to gather and analyze information gathered from various sources. For example, an analyst might examine sales figures for each country region or determine how many customers have signed up for an online subscription service over time. In addition, analysts often create reports based on their findings and present them at meetings with management teams or other stakeholders in the organization.
What activities does data analysis entail?
● Data analysts focus on using quantitative methods to identify trends in data, such as sales figures or customer demographics.
● Collecting, cleaning and organizing data from various sources
● Conducting statistical analyses on your results to determine if there’s any significance in the relationship between variables
● Analyzing the trends in the data (for example, finding out what factors affect your company’s sales)
● Reporting on their findings
● Identifying patterns in your results and concluding them
● Creating dashboards for executives that summarize vital business metrics
● Analyzing internal data to improve processes
Who are the data scientists?
Have you ever wondered what is data science and what data scientists do? The short answer is that data scientists often deal with the unknown. They use their knowledge of statistics and programming languages to discover patterns in unstructured data that may lead to breakthroughs in technology or business. Data scientists can also use machine learning algorithms to improve the accuracy of predictions made by artificial intelligence systems. Data scientists use qualitative methods (such as interviews or surveys) and quantitative methods (such as statistical analysis) to make predictions about future behaviour.
What activities does data science entail?
Typical tasks for a data scientist might include:
● Data cleaning. This includes data preparation, data integration, and data standardization.
● Data exploration and visualization. The goal here is to understand the data, including its distribution, trends, outliers and relationships between variables.
● Modelling and prediction. Data scientists use statistical modelling techniques to identify patterns in your data that will help predict future behaviour or events.
● Model deployment and validation. Once a model has been built, it needs to be deployed into production so that it can be used by your business users in their everyday workflows.
● Data management and governance. In this role, you’re responsible for ensuring that all data activity relating to your organization — from initial collection to analysis — adheres to your company’s policies and standards.
Data science vs analytics: Educational requirements
Data science is a relatively new field and has no official educational requirements. However, there are many different paths for getting into data science. The most common path is to have a Ph.D. in a technical field and then transition into data science. Data scientists have a wide range of educational backgrounds. Some come from computer science or engineering, while others have a degree or two in business or statistics. According to O’Reilly Media, most data science professionals have at least one degree in computer science or mathematics.
Data analyst positions require an undergraduate degree in business or statistics or a related field. This can take anywhere from 4-5 years, depending on your major and how long it takes to complete your degree. Data analysts typically don’t have any advanced education beyond an undergraduate degree.
In addition to going for the traditional means of education, you can also opt for online courses and certifications that will help you learn these subjects. Since both data scientists and data analysts are heavily in demand by the market and there is a shortage of people with these skills, generally, these courses are compounded with job guarantee programs that help you secure an interview once the course completes.
Read also: Hydraulic Pump Types